A Victim's Voice

August 8, 2017

The athletic department at the University of Colorado recently opened its doors to raise awareness about domestic violence and sexual assault and discuss what can be done to help change the issue. This included special talks for the football team and women’s basketball teams along with other programs with the chancellor and his cabinet, and the university’s Title IX compliance staff.

“For me, this is really about, how do we shift a culture within athletics,” Brenda Tracy, who was the guest speaker for this programming, told The Denver Post. “and how do we use athletics to shift that culture that’s going on campuses nationwide?”

“What I’d like to see is that if football players are at the same gathering as a women’s basketball player, and he sees her in trouble, for him pull her out of it. I want them to become this force kind of like, ‘Not in our house,’ Jill Mahoney, CU women’s basketball director of operations, told The Post. "It starts with someone like Brenda Tracy.”

Earlier in the year, CU faced scrutiny for how it handled domestic violence allegations against former assistant football coach Joe Tumpkin. An external investigation showed failures from three university officials—chancellor Phil DiStefano, head football coach Mike MacIntyre, and athletic director Rick George—in handling the allegations appropriately.

Moving forward, George has said the university wants to be a leader in addressing sexual assault. Along with potential legislative actions, Tracy, a sexual assault victim herself, emphasized that the student-athletes can be part of the solution. Senior running back Phillip Lindsay said Tracy's talk was powerful and made an impact on him. She told the team that only 10 percent of men are committing sexual assaults and that it's up to the other 90 percent to intervene or report potential instance of sexual violence.

“You start to visualize your sister, your mother,” Lindsay said. “I could never think about that happening to them. … (Tracy) is an inspiration to all of us. I can’t wait to do my part to help out and be the 90 percent of men.”


Tracy tailored her message to each audience. 

“The point that she drove home with us was, ‘Whether you took that drink, whether you were in a volatile situation, at the end of the day, if you said no or if you weren’t confirming that, it is not your fault,’” Mahoney said. “She conveyed to the girls that they are beautiful, powerful women, and you’re strong enough that if something like this happens to you, you’ve got a support system."

From New World Of Coaching
Throughout the course of a season, a team will often go through a number of stages before, hopefully, fully meshing into a strong, high-performing unit. In order to help guide your team to this ultimate goal, it’s important to know how to recognize the different stages of development.
SEARCH for Products
SEARCH for Vendors

Make Your Lockers Look Like New

There’s few facility projects that can match the excitement of a new locker room. Everything looks perfect, works the ways it should, and the athletes look forward to spending time there. Over time, though, the luster of a new locker room can wear off. Fortunately, you can get lockers looking like new again by touching …

Find the Bag You Need

Bushwalker Bags from Diversa Products Groups is best known for the line of athletic training bags. But they also have several other bags that can make life easier on the road. For example, they offer a portable table bag with a padded cover and reinforced handles that will protect portable treatment tables. They also offer …

NBA Strength Coach Utilizes VersaClimber

VersaClimber equipment provides athletes with a challenging, effective, total-body workout. “I have been using the VersaClimber with my athletes for over 10 years with outstanding results,” writes Stan Kellers, Assistant Coach of Strength for the Cleveland Cavaliers. “Recently I have developed some very unique routines combining the climber with other movements in a circuit based …

Functional Carts for Sports Medicine Professionals

RhinoMedCarts allow athletic trainers and sports medicine professionals to keep all their supplies in a compact, mobile storage unit. “Toole & Associates Physical Therapy and Wellness Clinic has used the RhinoMedCart for over a year both in our clinic and on the field for football games,” said Doug Toole, Physical Therapist and former NFL Official. …

MostFit Resistance Loops Compliment Exercise

MostFit Resistance Loops are meant to help athletes build strength and align their body. These can be utilized for physical therapy, Pilates, yoga, and to compliment any type of exercise routine. To learn more about MostFit’s Resistance Loops, click here.

Stay at the Top of Your Game!
Receive articles like this by signing up for our newsletters